1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with bad leg and one limping - will they have a good life?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hennypenny99, Apr 22, 2011.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I bought some baby chicks from my local Orschlands store. They are 7 weeks old now and I have two of them with problems. One is a black australorp hen. She has one leg that is completely useless. The toes are twisted and the leg sticks out sideways. She stays inside the coop most of the time but she does come out to the run every now and then. She comes out every morning with the rest of the chicks and she gets around really good on the one leg. She eats well and she is the same size as the others. Will she be okay? I am fine with having a one legged chicken I am just concerned the others might start picking on her but so far they don't.

Also - I have one Ameraucana that limps. She is 7 weeks old also. She seems to be hobbling worse than she was a few weeks ago. Do you think she will slowly get worse? She doesn't have twisted toes.

I read that twisted toes could be from a Vitamin A deficiency? I fed them chick starter feed from the get go. Now that they are in their big coop they have a 15 x 20 run and get grass, bugs, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by