Chick with bad leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LexsPeeps, Apr 4, 2018.

1. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    This chick hatches this morning and can't stand on both legs, if I hold it up and support him he can stand but once I let go he topples over. Ove leg is sticking straight behing it and can move it but can't seem to get it under himself. I have tried to tape the legs together to keep the leg under him but it doesn't work. Is there anything I can do? What is going on with his leg?

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may have a leg bone deformity, but when chicks first hatch, many people use chick vitamins for a day or two to see if it makes a difference. Make sure the chick has a non-slick surface to walk on.

3. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    I don't have any vitamins :( I will need to get some, the chicks are on a wire floor with a thin layer hay on top. He came out of the incubator like that

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any human vitamin B complex tablets that you could crush up and put in some water, and give him a couple of drops orally?

5. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Yes I do actually, I will try it out

Eggcessive likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try to dissolve one tablet in a cup of water. Use a dropper or a syringe to give it a drop at a time, or dip it’s beak into the water in a cup or spoon.

7. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Does it matter what mg it is?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Not really. B vitamins are hard to overdose. The excess is excreted in the urine. I would get some chick vitamins tomorrow. Poultry Cell is good. Or some that can go in the water. Make sure they contain riboflavin on the label— NutriDrench does not have it.

LexsPeeps likes this.
  9. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Ok great, I hope it helps. He seems healthy other than the leg problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: