chick with bald patches

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smw18, Mar 6, 2012.

1. smw18

smw18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    I have a black sex link that has a bald spot one its neck and under its wings on its hind quarters. It acts fine and doing fine other then that. Any ideas on what it is, and how to take care of it?

2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Sounds like lice. You may want to treat her with Sevin Dust. Make sure to re-dust in 10 days

3. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    really? Wouldnt the others be doing the same thing, or I would see the little buggers?
    EDIT
    also can we get it?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    It sounds like the chick could just be losing baby fluff to make way for proper feathers. This is completely normal. How old is your chick?

5. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    about 3 months old

6. NixNoodleNumbat

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Did it lose baby fluff or proper feathers? If it was baby fluff, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

7. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I cant say for sure, there is so many. It looks like it was just baby, but around the neck there is the start of propers feathers coming in.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. NixNoodleNumbat

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    That looks fine. Especially in the second pic you can see the starts of new feathers coming through.

9. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    I am going to give her a week, then if no improvements it's off to the vet. Hey it's been one problem after another but can I hit you up with another question, while your here. I have a different one that just opens its beak and clear fluid just pokes out of its mouth. I have seen it happen a few times, but it's nothing really that has me flipping out, for she is eating, drinking, sleeping, and interacting just fine. Any ideas?

10. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK

How is your chick
    Mine is three wks and has similar bald patches
    It does look like new feathers are coming through

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by