Chick with bent toe, sticking plaster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShortHenTallPen, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ShortHenTallPen

ShortHenTallPen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

Got my first batch of chicks yesterday, and they're doing great — at least, they seem to be, to this first-time chick-mom!

There's one who needed some TLC though, with pasty-butt and a bent toe. I washed and dried his butt, but he was unable to stand or balance, poor little guy (or gal!). I straightened out his toe with a sticking plaster bootie, but now it's getting a bit dirty, and I'm not sure how to best care for it. Do I keep it on, and wash and dry it, or do I take it off and apply fresh stick plaster?

I'm hesitant about taking the plaster off, as I don't want to damage his foot by repeatedly peeling it off, but maybe this would be a good opportunity to check that the toe is still healthy under there?

I got a snap of him with the booty, but I forgot to get one of the toe before putting it on. It was healthy andd pink/same colour as other toes, but just completely bent to the side - it was the middle toe.

He's a Buff Orpington, and the smallest chick of the bunch, but he's perked up a ton since I washed his butt and put the sticking plaster on him and he's able to get around.

Advice really appreciated!! :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I found that if the correction is done early on, it usually only needs to stay on for a couple of days, three at the most.

The last time I had that problem, I used a thin bit of wire, and two strips of vet wrap... they worked very nicely and it was nice because there was no sticking to the toes.

I used to always use tape.... I liked the vet wrap so much better.. it also gave the chick better traction.

1 person likes this.
  3. ShortHenTallPen

Jan 18, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you so much! The vet wrap is a great idea, although by the time I pick some up today, probably not worth applying to this one... At least I'll have it for any future things like this though!

I just picked off the dirt from the sticking plaster, and he/she is still doing great, so looking forward to seeing what the toe looks like when I can take it off. Hopefully a nice straight toe that will be functional :)

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

good luck! [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good job on the splint!

You could always try soaking it in warm water for awhile before trying to peel it off.
    They often come off the the bath/shower when you don't want them too.

Put just enough water to cover the foot in a cup that's too small for the chick to sit down in.
    Maybe even try to carefully cut away as much of the plaster as possible before soaking.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. ShortHenTallPen

Jan 18, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

Thank you - great idea! I never thought of soaking it, although have eczema, and plasters coming off in the shower is a real annoyance! I'll definitely give that a try :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by