1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with birth defects? Advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyrsanti, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    This little chick is a week old, buff brahma, hatched it myself from hatchery eggs that were not shipped but picked up. I'm not having the best of luck with their eggs. The chicks are overall less healthy than my own flock's chicks.

So it has a HOLE on top of its beak, between and in front of its two nostrils, and I'm not sure if it's breathing through it or what but it's caught the attention of the other chicks and they've started pecking at him/her (you can see a spot of blood above the abnormality and I assume this is from the others pecking but I guess I shouldn't rule out other causes of bleeding). It's acting fairly normal but less energetic, eats fine, drinks, poops and scratches like the rest but can be found sleeping on their own sometimes and more frequently than the others. It also seems to breath more heavily, not panting, just breathing heavily and with a slight noise if you hold the chick to your ear. Also, its wings stick out (second picture). None of my other chicks have ever had either of these defects. So I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before and if it's going to be debilitating or deadly so that I can react accordingly. Though I have no issues with culling deformed chicks, these eggs were kind of pricey and he/she getting along alright at the moment so I'm hesitant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Cute chick. I would see if it can survive.You can always cull later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by