1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with bloody butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alcmaeon, May 9, 2007.

1. alcmaeon

alcmaeon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    I didn't know if I should put this here or in the disease area but decided to put it here. One of my chicks has a bloody butt, what should I do to help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Yikes! Poor baby - I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but I can tell you to separate her from the other chicks right away or they will peck at her!

3. millicent

millicent Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Livermore, Maine
    that baby's being hen pecked! we ran into that problem when we got ours, and found that a cat crate, like you would use to take kitty to the vet (if you happen to have one) makes an excellent isolation area for wounded (or wounding) chickies. the one we have even came apart for easy hosing out. we separated the wounded for a bit(like a day or two), then let them back in and kept an eye on them all. we never 'treated' the injured butt, although i was sorely tempted to slather it in bag balm (those of us up here in northern new england put it on everything from a splinter to a slice of toast) they heal up pretty quickly.

4. alcmaeon

alcmaeon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Well, we are a dog family, so no cat crate (lol, the chicks are in a rigged up big wire dog kennel as a brooder!) so I separated out the chick with the hurt butt and the runt so they both could take it easy for a bit. I used a big ole balikbayan box.

Thanks for the info.

Rich

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by