CHICK WITH BLOODY BUTT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckandhop1550, Mar 1, 2014.

1. cluckandhop1550

cluckandhop1550 New Egg

Aug 30, 2013
    Just got 4 baby chicks on Wednesday...2 buffs and 2 white leghorns...about 2 weeks old. Right now they are in a large open bin in a back bedroom since it has been so cold recently. Today I heard a lot of squawking and discovered that one of my buffs had tail feathers missing and was bloody. The leghorns were picking at her. I have separated the buff from the others but she's not happy. Any suggestions on treatment of her behind and what to do about the picking. PS I'm already very attached to the buff...Sandy! Please help I

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Keeping the chick separate until she is healed will prevent the others from attacking the wound. Yuou can try using BluKorte (gentian violet) on the wound instead, to mask it; spmetimes this works. The best solution to the problem is to put them outdoors, and give them a lot more space and grass and dirt of forage on. If you are going to keep them indoors, be sure they have a minimum of 2 sq ft per bird, and give them things to do, to combat boredom: a flock block, a hanging cabbage, articles to jump up on, hide under, etc. Also, be sure they can escape their heat lamp, if you are using one.

3. cluckandhop1550

cluckandhop1550 New Egg

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I separated her for awhile and cleaned her up but she made her way back to the flock. They let her alone after I put a couple of pieces of cauliflower in with them. This morning she was in good shape with no more episodes of picking.Nice to know I have resources to count on in my quest to raise chickens! Thanks!

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Go to a feed store, look in the horse section and get WonderDust. You can find it online if your local stores don't carry it. I would swear by this stuff for healing wounds FAST. It's a black powder that will put a scab on an ugly wound in 24 hours. Prevents infections also. I use it often on bloody navels or other ugly wounds on my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by