Chick with Bloody Navel / Umbilical cord?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elle99, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Elle99

Elle99 New Egg

Nov 7, 2011
    Hi Everyone!
    I have just had a chick hatch with a bloody navel and what appears to be the umbilical cord intact? She seems to be pecking at it trying to remove it and I am wondering whether I should try and intervene / help her or whether it is best to let nature take it's course? I have researched the cause of this and have adjusted the temperature and humidity as this is obviously what caused her to hatch early but there is very little advice about what to actually do to help the chick? Can anybody here help, or has anybody had a similar experience?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    If you can take a pic, that would help, as we can only assume what you are looking at.

The spot she is picking at should dry off and be fine. Chicks peck at the color red, so if you can put her under a red light that might prevent her from zoning in on that spot and picking at herself. Also, if she has bator mates, they might peck at that too. I have had a chick hatch with a prolapsed umbilical. I put a bandaid over it, and it scabbed over and eventually healed beautifully...she grew into a beautiful hen that I still have.

3. Fowel Frenzy

Fowel Frenzy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    LARAMIE, WYOMING
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by