Chick with bloody vent

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I think it's coccidosis. there was a little bit of blood dripping out its butt then I found it on the other's butts. From a distance I thought it was pasty I got closer and I saw it with blood. Squeezed the chicks bum gently and a little bit of poo came out. The chicks wre hatched under a broody in the coop with everyone else. I keep them in a large dog pen during the day until I can supervise them all being together. I mean these chicks are like maybe a week old. I gave them about two drops of corid in the beak and I put it in all the waterers. I had to separate mama hen out of the dog pen because she kept trying to pull at the chicken's butts. I rinsed all the butts with saline and sprayed with vetercyn. Anything else I need to do?
PXL_20230510_212131826.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like your doing everything you can! But I would treat the whole flock for it also. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Are all the chicks vents bloodied or is there one chick with healthy butt?
Watch them closely for a while to identify a possible butt pecker among them

At just one week of age they are technically too young to display bloody vents from coccidia.
Depending on the kind of coccidia it takes at about three weeks for ingested oocysts to develop and cause bloody hemorrhage. It mostly rather shows at around 6-8 weeks.
https://www.elsitioavicola.com/publ...-poultry/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia/

Last edited:
Are all the chicks vents bloodied or is there one chick with healthy butt?
Watch them closely for a while to identify a possible butt pecker among them

At just one week of age they are technically too young to display bloody vents from coccidia.
Depending on the kind of coccidia it takes at about three weeks for ingested oocysts to develop and cause bloody hemorrhage. It mostly rather shows at around 6-8 weeks.
https://www.elsitioavicola.com/publ...-poultry/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia/
There were two or three chicks... I witnessed mom pull at their butts

There were two or three chicks... I witnessed mom pull at their butts
Did they have pasty/clogged butts prior to their mom's action?

Momma hens will often clean the butts of their chicks when they see them soiled or clogged, but usually they will just peck the poop off without drawing blood.

Back
Top Bottom