chick with BOTH 1 curly toe, and slight spraddle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 149east, Sep 6, 2014.

1. 149east

149east Out Of The Brooder

Hi everybody, this chick injured herself coming out of the egg (she came out 'butt first' from the pointy end of the egg). we feel she's lucky to have survived, however she injured a toe (we have now splinted it), and the lack of a working toe has caused her to spraddle a little. Here's the question: she's 3 days old, should we fix the toe first, THEN fix the spraddle? she currently has BOTH a little toe splint AND a hobble. when she flips on to her back, she can just *barely* right herself (but she has been able to right herself). Thanks for your wisdom!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would probably treat both, but the hobble is more important than having a curled toe. What are you using as a hobble? Vet wrap works very well, or even bandaid or tape. It takes a few days to get the muscles built up in the legs to walk properly. Here is a good link to read: http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

3. 149east

thank you, i used vet wrap and followed the picture, but she is distressed and now not eating or taking any liquids (I think she toppled over many times in the night - and the efforts to right herself have exhausted her). She is 72 hours old just now, I have some electrolytes, do I eye-dropper a few drops in? Worried she looks to be going down hill from my attempted orthopedic intervention. PS otherwise was a healthy silkie chick. tiny (but she is a silkie) thanks!

4. 149east

wow, amazing how these little guys bounce back! She was a sleepy lethargic mess this morning, somehow she got some wet chick starter into herself, now she is running around like crazy! Fixing the (one) injured curly toe seems to help her balance better and is slowly correcting the splay (it wasn't really a full-on splay - just legs pointing out more than they should). She's working hard on standing up straight... a huge improvement from yesterday. Thanks Eggcensive for your reply

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad she is feeling stronger. I would get some chick vitamins powder to put in her water every day, or some PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins, and give 2-3 drops by mouth per day. It may help with her toe and legs. Right now the vitamin with electrolytes is fine, but she won't need the electrolytes when she is stronger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by