1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick with breathing problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paoniapoultry, Aug 1, 2011.

1. paoniapoultry

paoniapoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Paonia, Colorado
    i have a chick - 2 months old - who lives in a run outside with other chicks. i noticed today she is lethargic and something is wrong. i brought her in the house gave her food and water with vitamin/electrolyte mix and a little bit of tetracyclene. her breathing is labored and raspy. she cannot straighten her neck, it is in an s shape and when i try, gently, to straighten it out, she opens her beak really wide.

please help! thanks!

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Wish I could help...gonna give your post a 'bump' so someone with more experience can help. Good luck.

3. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    im no expert but it seems like wry neck, i had a chicken acting similar to that and gave it vitamin e for about 2 weeks and shes all better now.

4. paoniapoultry

Jul 21, 2009
    Paonia, Colorado
    hmmm, vitamin e... how did you administer the vitamin e? did you keep her separate for that time?

thanks!

5. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
  6. paoniapoultry

Jul 21, 2009
    Paonia, Colorado
    thank you, that is helpful. how is the vit E administered? with a dropper? mixed with the water? seems like dropper would be best so she gets it all, but how much in the dropper? thanks!

7. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    I bought poly-vi-sol its an iron free baby vitamin in liquid form. On my full grown bantam I gave her 3 drops on the edge of her beak a day.

8. paoniapoultry

Jul 21, 2009
    Paonia, Colorado
    thank you! did you isolate her or keep her with her friends? i never know what to do in these situations... i often think if the bird is isolated it will not get better because it is lonely, but if it is with other chicks it will get beat up/trampled/not enough food, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by