Chick with broken femur (thigh). Help, please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ravie, May 28, 2011.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Can anyone tell me if my 6-week-old chick can heal from an injury like this? I am trying to decide if he should be euthanized. I love the little thing and don't want him to suffer or have a terrible life.

I made a splint and used medical tape to hold it in place. I have no idea if the bones are lined up properly. He is in a lot of pain.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, I'm so sorry. I don't have any experience with this, but it sounds like you did well so far. Do you have a vet nearby that will treat poultry?

3. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    If I do, I won't be able to afford vet care. My choices are to treat the injury myself or put him down. It's a sweet little Silkie chick. They're so gentle, it makes it even harder for me to see him in pain.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You are going to need to provide pain relief pronto or it's just too awful for the wee one. Every minute must seem an eternity. Hopefully someone can advise on right dose for a bird that small - I've only had adult birds. While waiting for help here, try reaching a vet to get at least that info before they close for the day and weekend.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by