Chick with broken leg? Please help!

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
I have a 6wk old Speckled Sussex chick that I think must have gotten her leg broken, fractured, sprained or something either yesterday evening or this morning. I had let them outside to graze yesterday and they were fine. She is one of the smaller of the Sussex, and usually very fast and skittish. She has different colored legs than the others, a tan color. The others are cream colored.
Today I found her in the middle of the brooder, being trampled by the others. She was doing a kind of army crawl, but kept getting knocked over. When I picked her up, she started writhing unnaturally, and fell on her back, unable to turn rightside up. She had no balance whatsoever, not even with her wings. Whenever my hand touched her heel or around it, she squealed and writhed again.(I found a picture showing what I mean by "heel" online. It is not her leg.) Her head would fall to the side of her injured leg. It was very hard to hold her because her body kept flopping over in my hand.

We took her inside, and I held her in a position that she wasn't hurt. She was obviously dehydrated. Her head would roll in odd positions, and sometimes twitch a little. She seemed unable to move her head much to drink water, like it would hurt if she tried. When she moved her head too far back, she would fall over backwards. To far to the side and she'd topple.
I gave her some water (put her beak in the water) and she did very tiny sips, not moving her head, only "smacking her lips" as you might say. We prayed.
After about 5mins she perked up, and her head wasn't rolling as much, only gradually moving backwards and then she would move it forwards again.
10 more minutes and more sips, she was able to perch comfortably on my hand without me supporting her. (I still supported her some so if she lost her balance, I could catch her.) She started moving her head for water herself, lifting it to drink as well. If she moved it too far up, she'd stumble back. We put her in a box with shavings. She moved herself to the wall to support herself on her side and back.
20mins and she started eating. She doesn't move her body to eat, just her head. She is regularly peeping in a not frightened way, and when we leave her and cover her box with a towel, she gets quiet. She is starting to sleep.

Now is about 1h 1/2 since we found her. Still doing well and happy. I have not started to look at where her leg is injured at. (Didn't want to disturb her yet.)
Is there any suggestions what to do from here, or any tips on splinting? I think it is probably her heel or thigh since that is where she screamed when I touched it.

Some people I might ask:
@Wyorp Rock
@Kiki
@U_Stormcrow
@Miss Lydia
@rosemarythyme
@coach723
@nuthatched
@Ridgerunner
@aart
Thanks all!
chicken-leg-anatomy-rough-and-tumble-farmhouse.png

I know this is going to sound like question It doesn't make sense but what exactly have you been feeding it?

Also, is this your first group of birds or do you have older ones or have you brought other birds home since you brought this 6-week-old bird home?

Also, is this your first group of birds or do you have older ones or have you brought other birds home since you brought this 6-week-old bird home?
I split our current coop in half with fencing. We just moved them from their first brooder to the split coop. Our older girls share the other side. We have 19 others, about 1.5 yrs old.

It's highly unlikely that she broke a leg. It is much more likely she's showing signs of an illness or a nutritional deficiency. Nutri-Drench is good to have on hand. If you can go get some go get some today. If not, take about two tablespoons of the chicken feed and get it a little bit wet...add a spoonful of tuna fish to see if she'll eat it.
Water. Encourage her to drink water on her own.

Does your older flock have Marek's?

Do you feed treats?
No. I believe they are also vaccinated.
The only treat we ever feed them is corn, and we haven't been doing that lately. We recently switched feed though to a local company, and it is a mash not a pellet. Our older girls have no symtoms of any problems except Bumble foot.

My first thought was Mareks too, but then I remembered they were vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom