Chick with Broken Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SJanay, Mar 2, 2015.

1. SJanay

SJanay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    I have a Wyandotte chick that was held yesterday. I think she jumped/was dropped. Today she can only walk a few steps and then sits/lays down. She is very lethargic. I have put her beak in water and she drinks, but I cannot make her eat. I have separated her in a small box with food and water so she is away from the other chicks who walked over her and such. She seems to have no will to live. What can I do?

2. SJanay

Jan 24, 2015
    She is about 5 days old.

3. SJanay

Jan 24, 2015
    I can't tell if she is just sleeping or if she is dying... Sad state of affairs...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    If the chick is drinking water you should try to make the water have as much nutritional value as possible. Some ways to do this are adding electrolytes or garlic (immune system booster) to the water. You could even try to add some powdered chick food to the water- just make sure the water is still a liquid. If she starts eating that is great but for now since she is taking in liquids try to add as much nutrients as possible to the water to keep her alive. You could also try feeding her sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. That is what I did when one of my hens was barely hanging on and not eating- she absolutely loved the yogurt and it is high protein and calories. Today, she is as strong and healthy as ever, but she hasn't layed eggs again yet [​IMG]. As for the broken leg I know there are other people with more experience on that subject so I will wait for some of them to answer [​IMG]

I hope I helped! I really hope your chick will be okay[​IMG]

5. SJanay

Jan 24, 2015
    Thank you for your help. I just added some powder chick feed to her water to give her some nutrients. I will also try the other things you mentioned. She is so weak, she hasn't eaten in a while. I will try what I can...

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Try to get her to drink some sugar water or Gatorade, maybe get some Nutri Drench and give her one drop a few times a day. For food, try *plain* crumbles mixed with water, small crickets, small live meal worms or eggs.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Make sure that the fluid you offer her is warm!

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Temp in her box needs to be about 95 degrees.

-Kathy

9. SJanay

Jan 24, 2015
    Thanks Kathy. I'll keep trying. It's so sad to see her just fade... I tried to get her beak open to eat something but that didn't work. So liquid is my only hope.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Might be better to have a larger box so she can move into or out of warmer spots.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by