Chick with broken neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtlantisPeeps, Jan 16, 2015.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    My favorite chick was fine this morning, but tonight I found her laying in her chick pen, almost dead looking. I picked her up, and her head is bent to the side. I looked under her feathers and it looks like her neck is broken in 4 places... I don't know what happened... She won't eat or drink... We put her in a crate and put her in the house to stay warm... Is there anything else I can do??? She's my favorite- I don't know what to do... I'm just sitting here bawling my eyes out. Is there anything I can do to save her??? [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your chick. Is she lying down still ? Can she move anything? Wry neck can look like a broken neck since it can be twisted up, down, or sideways. A broken neck, though, would probably paralyze the chick, and it wouldn't live.

3. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    She is laying verrrry still. She can move her legs a tiny bit, but that's it. You can clearly see a snap in the neck... I am currently helping another of my chickens who has wry neck, and it looks completely different

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would just place her in a comfortable warm spot, and keep her from being trampled. If her neck is broken, nothing can be done. So sorry.

5. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    I know very little to do, in one case it turned fatal but search for emergancie poultry vets in the area to see what they can do I have faith in your bird

6. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Well... She died last night... Warm and comfy at least... [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss.

8. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps