Chick with Broken Toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by max13077, May 25, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickies got a broken toe! I have a 12 week old buff orpington pullet and the middle toe on her left foot is bent completely around!:eek: I was feeding and she hopped into the coop right there in front of me.

What do I do?[​IMG]

*edited title for clarity*

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2008
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The first thing to do is to see if it really is broken...sometimes a hatching defect can show up or it's a vitamin deficiency...
    My hen Slifer had 1 straight toe between both her feet, and she got around fine.

3. max13077

After I posted I grabbed her and felt the toe in question. It isn't wobbly like I would think of if it were broke. She seems to get around ok. It seems like I would have noticed it if it had happened before.

4. SpottedCrow

These were Slifer's feet. She just couldn't roost, but could chase you pretty quick.
    [​IMG]

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    A "chick shoe" made from sports tape and/or bandaids & possibly pipe cleaners would very likely facilitate very good healing. DCT, "the friendly poultry orthopedist", gives good advice on these at www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/ and www.voy.com/194762/.
    I've
    had chick shoes work great for correcting curled toes.

6. max13077

YES! They are quite similar to mine. Except she has only one foot that's bad. I was watching her tonight and she has big problem roosting like you said. I just don't remember her having that problem before. Although it is entirely possible I missed it.

ThatÂ’s a birth defect or something?

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Whoops--Just read more closely (I'd worked off the thread title "Chick with Broken Toe"). Dunno if splinting would be appropriate if the toe's pretty set in that position...

8. SpottedCrow

It's usually fixable within a few days of hatching...but as long as she gets around, I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by