Chick with bung leg

Farming life

Hatching
Jun 15, 2017
this is our first time we have little chicks. Unfornately was born with a bung leg. I'm not too sure what it is, maybe someone is able to tell me, and hopefully there is a way to make her better. She seems to be coping ok with one leg, he is now 4 weeks old. Although prefers to stay in a corner, tends to struggle with the other chicks stepping on his bung leg . Hope you can help in some way. I have attached some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6535.JPG
    IMG_6535.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6536.JPG
    IMG_6536.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6537.JPG
    IMG_6537.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 6
The chick may be dealing with a leg bone deformity such as a slipped tendon, varus valgus deformity, or tibial dyschondroplasia (TD.) With a slipped tendon, they can develop soreson the outside of the hock joint. The hock tendons sometimes rupture with growth, and make the leg useless. Usually people try splinting, but there unfortunately is not a lot else that can be done. Chick vitamins are usually tried in the water, and the earlier treatment is done, there may be a better chance.

The chick may be dealing with a leg bone deformity such as a slipped tendon, varus valgus deformity, or tibial dyschondroplasia (TD.) With a slipped tendon, they can develop soreson the outside of the hock joint. The hock tendons sometimes rupture with growth, and make the leg useless. Usually people try splinting, but there unfortunately is not a lot else that can be done. Chick vitamins are usually tried in the water, and the earlier treatment is done, there may be a better chance.
Thank you for your reply. I don't think she is too well. Her other leg seems to have a toe deformed also. I feel quite sad about it, but it might be best to let her rest

Back
Top Bottom