1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with cloudy eye

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cajun chicken, Jan 27, 2016.

1. cajun chicken

cajun chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Central City, LA
    One of my week old Lavender orpington chicks has an eye that looks cloudy kinda like a cateract....the eye looks black with a milky looking haze. Do you guys know what can cause this? [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I don't know the cause other than a genetic defect. It appears you little chick is blind in that eye.

You can try testing it with treats and see how it's depth perception is. I believe it will probably have trouble hitting its target.

What this means is it will have a disability and not be able to compete for food. The chick should be able to see well enough to drink and eat out of a large feeder, just not be able to pick up something tiny like a worm or bug.

3. cajun chicken

Apr 6, 2015
    Central City, LA

Thanks for the help. I'll probably keep it and see what happens. If nothing else, it could lay eggs lol

4. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    I've had 2 lavender chicks hatch with similar eyes, how did your one turn out? My chicks aren't blind and appear happy and normal in all other ways! Thanks

5. cajun chicken

Apr 6, 2015
    Central City, LA
    I don't have this one anymore but he ended up growing into a huge rooster that could see just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by