Chick with cocci?? QUESTIONS!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickadeeMom, May 4, 2011.

1. ChickadeeMom

ChickadeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    i recently purchased a buttercup chick from a lady about an hour from me. i transported this chick and another from the same lady home in a box in a cage in the back of my truck.

Last night my chick had white all over the underneath of her and her little vent seems a bit irritated. shes really lathargic and just kinda lays around. i payed alot for this chick and im fairly attached to her already and i dont want to lose her.

My question is do you think its coccisidiosis?? (sp?) and if it is what can i do to fix it?

Is it contagious?

Would sav-a-chick help at all until i can get what i need??

Any help would be appreciated

2. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    anything?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is your chick?yes give it save a chick till you know what to treat it for. have you seen pasty butt? what are you feeding?

4. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    i was told it was 5 or 8 weeks. thats the only reason i bought them because i figured they were out of the breathe on me and ill die age range. guess not. its not pasty for sure....its like white paint all over the underneath of her. shes on layer starter or whatever bc i ran out of chick start and havent had time to grab a bag. but im headed out today to get some.

5. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    Update: Chick died...it was too late by the time i put the sav-a-chick in....all other chicks seem healthy. HOWEVER- they are on sav-a-chick and will be treated with an antibiotic JUST INCASE!! as well as my laying flock...just incase, i think i may have introduced a bug into my flock bc the 2 hens i bought are acting a but funny...

anyway as a preventative i will be treating EVERY bird i have...even the free range if i can convince them to drink the water.

id still like to hear opinions on what you think it is.

Thanks

and I KNOW that i cannot eat the eggs for 21 days...i will be waiting a full 30 days b4 eating them anyway.

6. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:Layer feed can severely injure a chick's kidneys. I would feed your chicks a medicated starter feed.
    Per TSC website:
    Chicks, because they’re babies, need different kinds of food from adult birds. Commercial feed companies formulate chick starter feed with more of the protein that these babies need — 16 to 22 percent. They can transition to adult feed at about 16 weeks.
    Never give chicks adult feed. The minerals in it, especially calcium, which is important for laying hens, can severely damage a chick’s kidneys.
    Starter feeds typically include medication against coccidiosis, an intestinal disease that can be deadly for chicks. Coccidia parasites, which are released in a bird’s droppings, are common, but keeping pens clean reduces the risk. The dose in medicated feed is so low that chicks get enough exposure to acquire immunity without getting so sick they die.
    Link:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/content/knowhow/chicks/raising_chicks_chicken_feed
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/content/knowhow/chicks/livestock_care_caring_for_new_chicks
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-care/chapter-4-caring-for-baby-chicks.aspx

7. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:Not sure what it is, but you should always quarantine any new birds for a minimum of 30 days before adding them to your existing flock to be sure they don't spread any illnesses to them.
    Your chicks are a little small to be getting antibiotics, especially if at the full strength for adults. I'd give them medicated chick feed to be on the safe side.

8. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    so you wouldn't give them duramycin?? thats what a friend told me to do...she said treat every chick/en that i have just incase i did spread anything.

i don't believe i will be buying any more birds from anyone other than someone on reputable byc.

9. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:How old are your chicks?
    This is what a friend on this website told me:
    Treating chicks that young could end up worse or even dead if treated with antibiotics...their developing internal organs might not be able to handle the drugs, even at reduced dosages. If it's a viral issue, nothing can be done.

10. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    chicks are 8 weeks...some may be 10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by