Chick with consistently loose droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dayrel, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Dayrel

Dayrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Situation: I am a new chicken owner and have three chicks currently in a brooder. One of them (an Australorp- 1 1/2 weeks old) has consistently loose/watery droppings. It appears to be just as active as the others and is feeding and growing fine. She is feathering-in more slowly than her mates (a RIR and Barred Rock), but I'm not sure that is a problem.

Food/Water: I've been supplementing their water with apple cider vinegar and probiotic powder. I'm feeding them non-medicated, organic chick crumbles. In the last three days, I've been offering them some dried meal worms and greens (lemon balm) and this chick appears to be the least interested in them.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this and how I might be able to treat it?

Thanks in advance.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I would stop feeding probiotic and only feed her chick starter. And maybe some egg yolk boiled. Or scrambled egg.

Dayrel likes this.
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    x2.What ratio are you giving them apple cider vinegar?Too much can cause diarrhea.

Dayrel likes this.
  4. Dayrel

Mar 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm going with straight water now. I can't believe their reaction to egg yolks. They were three cheeping piranhas around that stuff. I'll keep an eye on things and hopefully it will straighten out soon.

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    How are you chicks doing?

6. Dayrel

Mar 18, 2017
    Indiana
    They are doing quite well now. Thanks for asking. The loose droppings quickly cleared up after I removed ACV. I've recently switched my three girls from starter crumbles to fermented starter crumbles and they are doing well on it. Everyone seems to be happy, healthy, and growing well. :)

7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Great!
    I am a huge fan of FF.
    ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by