1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with crooked beak...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by higginskapilla03, Apr 1, 2008.

1. higginskapilla03

higginskapilla03 New Egg

Feb 25, 2008
    My 3 week-old Silver-laced Wyandotte has a "crooked" beak-- upper is fairly significantly off-set from lower. She doesn't seem to have trouble eating/drinking, but I wonder if it will cause her problems in the future? None of the others have the problem. If it will cause issues for her, is there anything I can (gently) do to correct it now, before it gets worse? Chicken ortrhodontia, perhaps?

Thanks,
    Katie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since crooked beak is a skull deformity, often it just gets worse. Some have been successful at keeping them, some not. Just needs a bit of TLC and deep feed/water and should do ok.

3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I had a chicken that led a perfectly normal life with a crooked beak. She did need crumbles, instead of pellets but other than that she was perfect [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by