chick with crooked neck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by crazychickenhug, Nov 9, 2014.

1. crazychickenhug

crazychickenhug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    A friend recently gave me a beautiful chocolate orpington chick he is about 3 days old the only thing is he was born with crooked neck he eats and drinks well and is huge happy little guy but I would like to know if there is a way to straighten his neck I just had my cat hit by a car and paid a 700.00 dollar vet bill so I can't afford to take him to the vet.I would really like to help him especially since he has great blood lines. can anyone help?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have him in a brooder, under a heat lamp? Chicks need temps of 95 degrees under the heat lamp the first week of life. Each week thereafter you can lower the temp by 5 degrees. (by raising the lamp), put a thermometer on the brooder floor under the lamp to check temps.

I've heard of chickens with crooked(wry) neck but, none that were born that way. He might have been too crowded in the egg or positioned badly. You can put "crooked neck," in the search box to see what articles there are on the subject. Sometimes it is caused by a nutritional deficiency. You might get some Polyvisol (NO IRON) infant drops (available at Walmart ,etc ) and give him 2 drops, 3 times a day. If he will eat it on food give it that way. My friend used to put it on sliced grape for her birds). Or using eyedropper put them at the front of him mouth, so if he doesn't want to swallow, he can dump it out. You can also get Vit. E capsules, poke a hole in one and squeeze out a couple drops onto his feed.

Also you can gently massage his neck to the proper carriage, several times a day. Please post in the" emergencies,diseases, injuries, cures," thread for other options. I hope his neck will straighten out over time.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sometimes these crooked necks stem from being in a bad position in the egg and sometimes they are caused by nutritional deficiencies; mainly the parent birds were possibly fed improperly or this is being passed down from parent birds that also had a crooked neck.

As Drumstick Diva mentioned, the Poly-Visol really helps to boost them up. Vitamins B, E and Selenium usually helps these types strengthen the neck.

You might want to post this in our emergency section for more help with the little guy...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope you can get him cured up soon.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome. Hope your chick does well.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your chick recovers.

7. crazychickenhug

crazychickenhug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    yes I have him under a light .I will try working on his neck thanks for the advice.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your chick!

9. roosterlover897

roosterlover897 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2014
    what ever you do don't give up and God might just let you keep him/her

10. FL Crowing Hen

FL Crowing Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2014
    Babson Park, FL
    Best of luck with your little chocolate boy. Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by