Chick with crooked toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShadowRooster, May 29, 2010.

1. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    How can I get them to grow in right? She is having problems walking, but other then that she is fine. She was hatched in a egg turner, along with another chick, wich is doing fine. (the broody got of her nest, and the eggs where COLD when I put the in the incubator, so I didnent thing they would hatch) But they did. [​IMG]

2. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    You can make a chick shoe using bandaids if she is still young enough. This needs to be done before the bones harden. I cut the middle pad part out of a bandaid & with the 2 halves, place one half on the bottom of her foot with the toes aligned correctly and the the other half over the top to secure it. Depending on the size of the chick, you may be able to use the bandaids or duct tape will work too, but is a little harder to deal with. It should straighten within a few days if it is going to, but the important thing is to do this right away. You may need to trim around the edges of this chick shoe a little bit, but be very careful not to cut into the toes! Good luck, Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by