Chick with Crop Issue

suzicq

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
We have 9 chicks, 6 that are 4 weeks old and 3 silkies that are 3 weeks old. One of our three-week-old silkies seems to have either an impacted crop or sour crop. They are on chick starter/grower and yesterday they ate some fresh plants. we offered chick grit also. This afternoon one of our three-week-old silkies started doing forward rolls. Upon examination, we discovered that her crop was swollen/full. She's tucking her head to her chest. Her crop doesn't seem to be hard as far as we can tell.However, her breath seems normal, but we're not sure what to look for. It seems to just smell like her feed. When she's held she snuggles up with her head tucked very low. She seems to be getting somewhat lethargic. She is still eating and drinking, but maybe less. Not sure if she's still pottying.

Separating her from the other silkies at this time. Not really sure what to do, have read various solutions, but many are for adults/older chicks. Getting pretty worried.

We had several crop issues with one of my chicks early on as she continually gorged herself on food/sand/shavings! Here's what we do- Separate her with no food and water mixed with raw/ unfiltered apple cider vinegar (1TB/ gallon) or chick boost if you don't have ACV. Massage the crop every 15-30 minutes for a couple of minutes, I usually give them a couple of drops of the ACV water a minute or so before I massage. If she hasn't pooped in a couple of hours then use a dropper or syringe without a needle and give her several drops of oil and continue the crop massage. We've never had to get to the point of using oil as their bodies do lubricate thier crops relatively well...

Back
Top Bottom