Chick with curled feet clicking .. Help ?? !! I am lost !

CorinneP

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Up State New York
Here are the details I hope I am in the right Forum..
My Son Did his First Hatching in an incubator. I know his Heat was a Tad low as was his Humidity.. yet here she is..
Born about 30 hours ago .. seemed weak as usual .. resting.. but though she fluffed up she didn't perk up.. we left her in the incubator..
This Morning we noticed her feet were curled not real bad but bad enough .. So I researched all day .. splinting changing splints.. and methods.. I tried every thing on hand with any riboflavin's.. she has been able to eat .. a drop or three of diluted hard boiled egg.. a drop or two of yogurt.. a few drops of Pedialite ( electrolyte drink for babies) a couple drops of sugar water.. one entire meal worm.. after splinting it seemed like her legs were also spreading so I made sure they were closed softly and secured..
At First being weak I kept her in the incubator longer.. and much of the day on my chest.. so I could keep her up right and watch her.. now under a heat lamp in a special box close to chirping chicks but safe..
My Biggest worry is that she keeps making a clicking noise.. Chirps very little ..
Is she a Goner ?? any more Ideas ? I have Googled my little fingers off and tried every thing.. She has slipped almost everything I could think of as far as Splints go .. So Now I went to Tin Foil and individually wrapped each toe and then scotch tape .. : ( I have never dealt with curled feet before .. but the clicking doesn't seem good..
Any and all help appreciated if she passes I want to know I tried ..Poor Curly

Have you tried small Band-Aids? Place the toes as they should be on the gauze pad, then close the adhesive strips over the toes. Put the chick on a paper towel or washcloth, something that will provide traction, so the chick can get around.

Last edited:
Yes I started with bandaids .. they didnt seem to stay on then stupidly just tape That took me for ever to safely get off then I put paper towls under tape .. now tin foil tht seems to be working very well but the Clicking noise is whats scareing me ..

Back
Top Bottom