Chick with curled toes! Help please!!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Howdy y’all!
I have a three week old silkie chick who has curled toe on one foot. It is active, runs around, and can eat and drink. When I got my batch of chicks, all of them had splay leg. I healed them with a brace, but around last week I noticed this one’s foot. It’s environment is clean and they have lots of space to run and play. Also, this one has a bare patch ALL AROUND it’s bum. Is that normal? This one is active, but it does limp.
So, I really just need to know if there is anything I can do, or if it’s too late to help this little guy. If y’all have have any questions, please ask! Thanks to all who help:thumbsup

Have you added vitamins to their water? Make sure the vitamins contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) NutriDrench does not have riboflavin. Are the toes curled under or curled out to the side? Toes curled under is a sign of riboflavin deficiency. A chick shoe made of tape on both sides can be used to straighten toes. It works best when they are really young. Posting a picture can help of the bottom and the toes.

Have you added vitamins to their water? Make sure the vitamins contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) NutriDrench does not have riboflavin. Are the toes curled under or curled out to the side? Toes curled under is a sign of riboflavin deficiency. A chick shoe made of tape on both sides can be used to straighten toes. It works best when they are really young. Posting a picture can help of the bottom and the toes.
The toes are curled to the side. No, I have not given them vitamins.

You can still try the chick shoe. But if it doesn't end up working, chickens can have this curled toe thing and lead normal lives. I have a couple of hens that have toes curled off to the side and they sure manage to get themselves around with no problem.

The vitamins will only treat the curled under toes, as in a fist. Your chick may be too old to correct curled to the side toes, but you could still try with taping them to a cardboard shoe. TheChickenChick.com and other sites have good tips if you Google “curled toes in chicks.” This works better when the toes are very pliable. I have just noticed curled toes at this age, and it has not worked. Many chickens will have a curled toe, and even one I had with ones that progressed to curling upward, was able to roost on my 2x4 roost boards.

The vitamins will only treat the curled under toes, as in a fist. Your chick may be too old to correct curled to the side toes, but you could still try with taping them to a cardboard shoe. TheChickenChick.com and other sites have good tips if you Google “curled toes in chicks.” This works better when the toes are very pliable. I have just noticed curled toes at this age, and it has not worked. Many chickens will have a curled toe, and even one I had with ones that progressed to curling upward, was able to roost on my 2x4 roost boards.
Ok!

Back
Top Bottom