chick with curled toes...help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clhbubba, Jan 18, 2009.

1. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    I think I remember seeing something on here before about how to straighten curled toes on chicks, I just don't remember what it said. I have a newly hatched seabright chick with curled toes on one foot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You can take a band-aid and cut the sticky tab from each side of the pad. Place one sticky strip under it's foot and straighten out the toes. Then take the other sticky strip and place it on top of the foot and press together to hold the toes in place. Trim off the excess. Makes them look like they have duck feet. Leave this on for 2 days and then check to see if that corrected the toes. If not, do it again. We have only had one chick that it did not work on but the rest were fine after a couple of days.

4. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Thank you so much, hopefully we'll get this corrected. I'm sure the sooner I get something on it the better her little chances will be of it straightening out. Thanks again. Chris

5. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Okay, this just sounded SO much easier than it was!! But they are on, with the help of my DH. This chick is about the size of his thumb so it was like a micro procedure. The little guy is having some trouble getting around but hopefully will get used to it. The other chicks are VERY interested in his cool new shoes!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I JUST did this with a tiny little bantam chick. Both feet were curled up. I followed the Band Aid boot method (very tricky for me too!) on here. Just took the Band Aidoff 2 days ago and chickie is just fine! Be warned that it was NOT easy to get the Band Aids off either. [​IMG] Use oil and a q-tip.

7. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Thanks for the removal tip, I was thinking that was going to be quite a challenge as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by