1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick With Curled Toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ncgnance, May 3, 2008.

1. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I know I've seen the answer to this question before, and I have been looking for it the last 2 hrs, between watching my BRAND NEW FUZZY BUTTS!! 4 hatched, 17 to go. But one of my little silkies has curled toes on one foot. I think the other foot is ok. My question is, will it straighten out on its own? I remember talk of putting a cardboard boot on the chick. Please tell me how again, in a nutshell, how to do that. Thanks

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The toes will not fix themselves. You need to make a little boot with a peice of cardboard on the bottom of the foot and a the sticky parts of a bandaid across the top to hold each toe in place.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. ChinaChicks1

ChinaChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    NE Oklahoma
    It can also be cause by a riboflavin deficiency which can be fixed by simply using Poly Visol..that's what i do. For more information on it go HERE

4. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Thank you both very much. The silkie eggs are so small and it took a long time for the chick to get out of it. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. I made him some booties.

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I never knew you could do this! It's cool, and actually very cute [​IMG] All the other chicks will want to know where she shops [​IMG]

I have a big Cuckoo Marans roo and a big Americauna hen that both have wonky toes. They get by fine, but certainly won't be show birds any time soon.

6. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Update on Little Miss Two Shoes: At least I hope she is a she. I took them off and she seems to be doing quite well. Thanks for all your help.

7. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    How old do you think is too old for this intervention to work? I have two 4 week old chicks that have a bent toe. Is it too late for them?

Thanks,

Lori

8. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I don't know how old is too old. Hopefully, someone has the answer. Maybe tuffoldhen or missyprissy or speckledhen. I think between the 3 of them, they know just about everything. It wouldn't hurt to try, if she'll leave the boot on.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

4 weeks may be a bit old but it won't hurt to try. They are still growing very fast so it's possible. However, the bones and ligaments may have already hardened and tightened so it might work. The bird might also be more cognitive of it's own feet then, and might want to pick the brace off.

10. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    I'm going to give it a try. If I succeed, I will post back. I think the biggest problem will be the chick pulling it off!

Thanks.

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by