1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick with 'dead leg' can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catie22, Sep 11, 2014.

1. catie22

catie22 New Egg

Sep 11, 2014
    Hi there,
    I got this just to ask this question
    I have a baby chick (2 days old) with a leg that just won't work. It doesn't seem to have feeling I'm not quite sure.the other leg has movement but it can't stand with its other leg out to the side and its toes all scrunched. Is there anything I can do to help it?? Correct it in the hopes it might come good soon. I don't want to give up on her just yet. She's strong otherwise and I have been giving her water through a dropper and that helped. But please help me I have no clue what to do!!

2. catie22

catie22 New Egg

Sep 11, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Have you read through this page? It's quite helpful with fixing leg/foot issues in little guys:

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

The foot could probably benefit from a "boot" to keep the toes out and flat in the correct position, but the fact that it doesn't use that leg is concerning. It could possibly have a slipped tendon? Can you get a pic of this guy's hock joint?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by