Chick with Deformed beak - SAD News - Chick dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheilaz, May 16, 2008.

1. sheilaz

sheilaz Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Poland
    Thank you all for you kind advice. Yesterday my lil chick went to farmyard heaven. He developed a large swelling in on his center left front. It was transparent, almost like a gas filled bubble, and he was apparently in distress, so my very kind neighbor offered to euthinize him. I am glad I found this group and will continue to visit. I still have 7 chickens and five ducks, three dogs and a cat.

Greetings from POLAND
    I just found this board in my search for help for my baby bantam. My neighbor gave him to me today because he doesn't have the time to care for him. He has a deformed beak, his eyes are askew and I don't think he sees too well. I am willing to give anything a try. I don't have access to any pet store type solutions as I live ijn a rural village. I moved here about 5 years ago from America and have raised chickens and ducks since then.

PLEASE any suggestions. I don't think the chick is in any pain, so I'd like to give it a chance.
    Sheila

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Witamy!!
    I speak like 2 words of Polish...[​IMG]

I think a loose mush of water and chick starter in a deep dish could help or you could just spoonfeed the chick the mush.

3. sheilaz

May 16, 2008
    Poland
    Thanks for the reply.

Even after five years, you are about two words ahead of me in the Polish department. The chick is unable to open its mouth. Is it all right to kind of push food in gently? I am feeding it egg yolk right now cuz that is all I have. (Hard boiled then a bit of water mixed in cuz she won't drink.)

Sheila

4. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    My rooster has a crossed beak...not the same problem as your little fella, I know, but maybe the principle is the same...? I have to keep his feed in a wide, deep open container. He can't pick up individual bits, but if he can get his whole face into his food he does fine. I give him scrambled eggs too, and oatmeal if he's in the mood to eat it.
    Good luck, and keep us posted!!

5. sheilaz

May 16, 2008
    Poland
    Thanks. I'll try oatmeal in the morning. He is asleep now.

BTW - I am a former Portland Oregonian.

6. rachelm10

rachelm10 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    I have no advice, but he is CUTE!!!!!

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I would think gently pushing it in with a baby spoon wouldn't hurt him...

8. LauraMH

LauraMH Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    i wouldn't sugest oatmeal as it's not really that good for chicks.
    Baby rice might help if you can get it.

With regards to the chick wellbeing, please don't think me harsh but I seriously don't think it has much of a chance. if it has a deformed head, as it grows more problems with development might appear. It might not appear in pain but if has hatched with that level of deformity it is just normal to it even the suffering would appear normal to it.
    I do wish you all the best, I have myself devoted so much time to weak deformed chicks due to myself being disabled. But it can cause more heart break than joy.
    xx
    Laura

9. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    How's the chick doing today?

10. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

try a plastic surenge with the flexible tip... might help with the feed ing if u put it in his mouth ... im from oregon too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by