Chick with deformed eye and bubble under the eye?(PIC) ASAP

Attack Chicken

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Today my broody hatched out 6 serama eggs. Five of them are doing great and are normal. One of them hatched out with it's eye closed and a bubble under the eye slits. What is this? Seems fine running around under mama chirping and everything with a little bit of a crooked beak due to the eye problem.

Also the last eye that didn't hatch I went ahead and pipped a hole in the aircell end but the chick was already dead. It did pip through the membrain but not the shell. No movement,peeping or breathing.I did notice at the back of it's head there was the same bubble like thing that was on the other chick but bigger on the dead one. I kept sitting there hoping it would move but sadly it never did so I went out and buried the chick in the garden where everyone else is.

I'm curious to what the bubble like thing was? Just a hatching problem? These were hatched under my first time broody. Never had this problem before so was wondering if it was just my time to have this sort of problem. Will the bubble under the one chicks eye go away without doing anything? Should I just leave it?

Sorry for so many questions never had this problem before
hmm.png
Can get a pic if need be of the live chick.

Thanks
AC

Last edited:
I am sorry about your chick. Is there any way for you to post a pic? Chicks can do ok with just one eye, but I have no idea what the 'bubble' is. Hopefully someone will let you know. good luck, could it be a disease passed on through the eggs? Were they shipped eggs or your own. If your, I wouldn't worry about the disease part. Shipped, I might do some research.

Had 3 more hatch under my other broody today and nothing like this. Her 3 chicks were normal. Also have an egg in the incubator with the chick still alive. Was getting trampled by the other three and the membrain was bleeding so I brought this on in. So far what I can see of the chick it looks fine. Theres 3 other eggs that I believe are dead. Will give them a day or so and open them to see if anything was wrong with those chicks.

These eggs are from a breeder that I went and seen his birds and they looked healthy and beautifull. He's never had any disease in his serama flock.

Here's the chick from it's goodside and bad side was surprised at the size of the chick compared to the egg it came out of.

16241_img_3041.jpg

16241_img_3042.jpg

Still the same today

Talked to the person I got the eggs from- very good friend of mine- and we decided since the chick was bigger than it should of been it probably just sat wrong in the egg making the eye the way it is.

AC

Back
Top Bottom