Chick with deformed feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by photojustice, Aug 29, 2013.

1. photojustice

photojustice New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    Hi, I have 26 chicks that are about 5 weeks old. One of them has deformed feet, the toes all curl to the inside rather than sticking straight out. It has been moving around just fine. But yesterday I found it away from the rest of the chicks and it seemed weak. The others were pecking at it so I've moved it to a separate spot (but still in view of the others). It doesn't seem to be moving around very much and still seems very weak.

I don't know if there is something wrong (part of the deformity) and when it became weak the others started pecking. Or if the pecking started first and it's injured somehow. I can't see any injuries or blood, so I'm leaning towards the first one.

It seems odd that this chick would be fine for this long and then suddenly start to fail.

Any ideas?

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

3. photojustice

photojustice New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    That's exactly what it is, but this one hasn't had any problems with walking. Now, all of a sudden there is something wrong. When I woke up this morning I found this chick on it's back. It seems weaker than it was yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by