Chick with deformed leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by todtrac, Jul 12, 2010.

1. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Sorry I don't have a picture, but we have a silkie chick given to us to raise with our other three. This chick is now about a week old, seems to be growing but cannot use it's foot, it actually walks on the knuckle of the foot. It just sits around an awful lot while the others are very busy. When he does try to get around, it hops in circles and uses it wings to try to balance itself, it is definitely a struggle for this little guy to get around. does anybody think he can grow and learn to walk (hop) on one leg? Do you think other chickens (silkies) will try to attack it?.. very curious...

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

If you can post a photo somehow, that would sure help. Not exactly sure what you mean by knuckled over, but if we had photos it would sure help. There are hobbles that are easy to make that will correct some deformities.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

crooked feet can be mostly repaired if done early enough in life... are the toes flexible enough to place out flat?... if so a cast can be made... let us know and I'll try to find the other post that was on recently about doing just that... not hard at all!
    dmb/mm

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I agree...photos needed. I take in special need chicks and chickens. I have a 2 year old hen with a spraddle leg and curled toes. She doesn't live with my flock but she has lived with other chickens who did not bother her at all. She has a happy life and gets around just fine in her own way. She does everything a chicken does except scratch. It's all in how much time you want to put into the chick.

6. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
  7. todtrac

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I appreciate all the feedback and I am so glad I joined BYC.. you guys are great!..

I will post photos tonight for you all to review and look forward reading your thoughts.

Thanks,

8. todtrac

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Here is our chick, Forest. He is the one with the crooked leg more so than the foot. Please review my photos and give any advice you may have. Will he make it? What should I do to help him. He is a silkie chick roughly 10 days old.

Thanks in advance,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    He may have had curled toes initially that caused difficulty walking. Trying to compensate for difficulty, he may have developed splayed leg and his tibia bone looks like it may have twisted over time, also.

I would put leg hobbles on his lower legs right away. Also put on chick shoes if his toes are curled when he stands with the hobbles on.
    It might be too late for corrections to work, but it would be good to check by trying.

If you can post 2 or 3 photos of how he stands after you put on hobbles, and 1 or 2 of how the back of his hock joint on that leg looks from the back, that will give help in determining treatments and potential.

Best wishes [​IMG]

10. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I think what she means by the joint or knuckling over is its walking on the Knee like spot rather then its foot? or is that just how the photo looks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by