chick with diareah, off balance, poop smells bad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 19hhbelgian, Oct 11, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    This chick was fine 2 days ago, then yesterday morning I went out, and she was just sitting. I picked her up, and she is totally off balance. She was also shivering. I took her in and warmed her up, got fluids in her, and let her rest. I started off by giving her honey and water (figured honey is really good for people, so why not my babies). This has actually really seemed to help. She perked up last night, enough to try pecking at some solid food. She has been sleeping a lot, but her eyes are clear and when she's awake, she is perking up. She has started pooping again (only went once yesterday - later at night), but it smells like a really dirty porta potty. That's the best way to describe it. It's not complete water, it is slightly solid, and is a normal color - no blood what so ever. This morning I went down and she was awake, and had moved around her temporary bed. She is also more interested in food, and is in general, seeming to do better. I would just like to know if this could have been an impacted crop that I got moving again, or maybe she got too cold? Every body else is fine. Any thoughts?

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    UPDATE: I was just down with her again, and she is now voraciously eating her cheerios and water. Her balance is still off, but she can now focus to peck, and actually pick up her food. Here's hoping!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by