1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

chick with diarrhea...anything to help it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4urbanchicks, May 23, 2010.

1. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    We have three 2 week old chicks, and one, the Ameraucana has diarrhea. She is drinking and eating well, and seems to be okay, except for when she sometimes goes to lay down she kind of falls over on her side. She seems to be alert and happy when she is not sleeping, so I do not know if I should be concerned. The other two chicks are fine and showing no similar symptoms.

Is there anything I should do for her?

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is it every poo that's runny, or only some of them?

3. 4urbanchicks

Apr 26, 2010
    Just the one has runny poo. And i notice one of the other chicks kind of falls over when they are first going to sleep...maybe it is a normal chicken thing?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Could it be ceceal poo? All chickens have it, about every 8 to 10 movements.
    Here's the poo guide:
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

(you might not want to look at that page if you're eating, although I'm eating a hot dog with sauerkraut right now and it doesn't bother me)

Yes, chicks tend to flop down any ol' way when they fall asleep and sometimes they'll lay on their sides, legs stretched out and kick shaving all over themselves. Chickie dustbaths.

5. 4urbanchicks

Apr 26, 2010
    Quote:it might be ceceal poo. I am just worried about her, and so I may be overanalyzing everything she does. Bottom line though, if she is eating and drinking and moving around the brooder okay when she is not about to sleep, shouldn't she be okay?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:it might be ceceal poo. I am just worried about her, and so I may be overanalyzing everything she does. Bottom line though, if she is eating and drinking and moving around the brooder okay when she is not about to sleep, shouldn't she be okay?

Bottom line is yes, she should be okay. What is it about her that has you worried? (other than the poo)

7. 4urbanchicks

Apr 26, 2010
    I guess it was the falling over in conjunction with the runny poo. I had never seen her fall over on her side when she laid down before, she always laid down with her feet under her, so it looked like she was sick because she could not control the falling over...I think though that it is just a new way for her to lay down..

I am also terribly attached to her, so I may be a tad overprotective!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by