Chick With Diarrhea?

kami52275

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hello! I'm a new chicken mama here. I love these forums and they've been so helpful!

I have six 4-week old chicks. They all seem to be doing well. They're all eating, drinking and playing around in their brooder. We have moved them to a larger space so they have room and roosts to play on. The temperature is around 80 degrees and they do not appear to be too hot or cold. We are feeding medicated starter. They've had a few supervised field trips outside, but only briefly. I do feed them some grit as occasionally we will give them some dandelion, grass, etc. occasionally and when they go outside I know they are eating who knows what.

Despite doing well, it seems that one of the chicks is having different poops than others. Hers is more brownish and not as solid. It is also very foul smelling. I've read that sometimes this can be normal, but it appears to be happening frequently. I've noticed this over the last 2 days. Again. She is eating, drinking and otherwise appears normal.

Is there something else I should look for?

Thanks so much for your help!

JekkaLynn

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Ontario
Are you sure it is just the one chick or are those poops you see just the normal wetter liquid poops that they do instead of peeing? I thought the same thing until I read a post describing the sticky poops they sometimes do.

kami52275

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure it's only the one. She is the only one I have actually witnessed doing it.

And it could be wetter ones, I just wasn't sure! I feel a little less worried that they all seem to be moving around, eating & drinking. It was just something new that I hadn't noticed before. Mainly the smell is what I noticed.

Is this something they just start doing when they're older?

JaceAgain

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Coastal NC
Search chicken poops in this forum, there are like, 8 different poops that all look different and some worrisome but are perfectly normal.

kami52275

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Thank you for showing me this post. I do think it is normal now. But I'll keep a watch out.

Top Bottom