Chick with disability? & growing very slowly

sarookh

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
My chick is about 2 months now & she doesn't seem to be improving apart from the fact that she does eat by herself but will only pick out certain small, soft foods...rice, egg yolk & sometimes bread. She was born with a disability that my mother noticed early thankfully- she has a slightly wonky beak (not noticeable upon first glance) & it seems a short tongue. She takes a long time 2 get food 2 the back of her throat & so I tend to feed her often, especially as she ignores certain foods & seeds. She does pick out egg shell & gives it a good bashing. Her brothers & sisters are now almost 4 times her size- so I'm worried & think perhaps had she have died early on she would have been better off...however she does seem very chirpy most of the time & isn't so afraid of the hens we have- unlike the other chicks. When I do feed her it seems as though her gut gets filled with air; of course she isn't very feathery as of yet so a lot of her skin is exposed, thus a very visible stomach. I'd appreciate so much if someone could tell me whether they are familiar with these symptoms & how to go about dealing with her? She is adorable & I've grown attached but I don't see how she will become a hen one day. Thank you :eek:)

Unfortunately she is not thriving... personally I do everything I can including sitting up all night with a sick chick, but I'm sure most on here would say she would be better off if you let nature take its course. If she is unable to fend for herself at 2 months, and run and play and be a regular chicken... that's not much of a life.

I'm sorry for your situation.

Diana

Her food needs to be in deep dishes so she can scoop her food, not peck. If she has a twisted beak, she is most likely slowly starving - sorry - it is hard to hear, but it is what happens. Her beak is unable to pick/peck food like other chickens.

Deep dishes - 2 inches or deeper. If you feed her treats, feed alot in a deep dish - let her eat till done.

Do you have a picture of her?

Back
Top Bottom