Spellbound4u

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
I got a chick from a friend at 4 days old. She seemed to think the knee was dislocated so she put the leg in a splint. We kept it on for a week and the chick didn't use the leg much but still got around. When we took it off the chick had a cast sore but not unmanageable. Now the leg is kinda swollen and turning to wear if the chick puts pressure on it she walks on the outside. So I tool her to the vet who put her in bracelets? She just taped her legs together and said to leave them on a week. The problem is I think the legs are too close together because now the chick can't stand at all and she is really getting stressed. I need idea on how I can help her. We don't have many vets that see poultry in my area so I dont know about getting a 2nd opinion. She can only lean on things since I got her home.

Attachments

• 20201007_120206.jpg
    20201007_120206.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20201007_120909.jpg
    20201007_120909.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 16
Try this. Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger.
Slowly lower your left hand like you're going to pitch a soft ball and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head and body upward toward your hand. Keep your hand under, but not touching. When it does, you can re-grab the body.

This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the chick. It may work. It may not if the injury has set.

Coincidentally, I just discovered one of my eleven-week old chicks with a leg injury, probably a sprain. It's extremely upsetting to be helpless to do much for a little critter in a lot of pain. I gave mine an 81 grain chewable aspirin, and it seems to be making her feel less pain. You can try that. It also helps reduce inflammation which causes pain.

Back
Top Bottom