chick with dislodged air cell - should I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grindlefamily, May 21, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    It is pipped out the side that doesn't have the air cell, he has quite a hole and his beak is out so he can breath, but I am worried about him. Should I just wait??

Louella

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would wait...they can take 24 hours to zip out after pipping....if his beak is out he should be fine....

3. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    That was what I was thinking - I am also thinking I may just let nature take it's turn (although that may be hard).

Thank you - I just needed someone to say that to me.

Louella

4. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I was just peeking in - I think he may be upside down - is that normal? His beak appears to be upside down when he peeps - AHHH!!! I have 3 others with pips - boy this is hard!

Louella

5. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know its hard...every time I hatch its like its the first time!!!...I'm pretty sure the way the chick is folded in the shell its head is tucked under a wing funny like....

Just be patience...its always worked out for me and healthy chicks hatch on their own...

6. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    okay - this is my first time - sorry for the stress - I will take a deep breath and wait (as patiently as I can).

Louella

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your doing ok...ask questions when you need too someone is always here to help out....

8. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    Hey good luck! don't you just love those fuzzy butts. Here's rootin for ya and those babies

9. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Yes, it is normal for the beak to be upside-down. If there is a hole and you can see the beak, leave it alone.

10. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    any progress?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by