1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with Dizziness (5 days old)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roejono, Jan 16, 2015.

1. roejono

roejono New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    Hello BYC members

I recently picked up some 1 day old australorp chicks and discovered one of them is acting very odd.

She acts as though she is dizzy (we nick named her "Dizzy" because of this) she seams to keep her eyes closed most of the time however when given water through a syringe she drinks and eats mushed up chicken starter. when she does open her eyes her head moves from one side to the other slowly.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before ? She literally hasn't had time to get an inner ear infection surly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this !

Thanks all

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Pick up some poultry nutridrench and get a drop or two directly into her. She may be a failure to thrive chick, and no matter what you do, she may die. It happens.

3. Alene16

Alene16 Just Hatched

Mar 7, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    I had a chick act like this a few years ago. We have a bird expert in our area and when I called him he said to give her vitamin E every 4 hours. He also said to never give a bird water by a dropper that you could get the fluid into her lungs and it would kill her. I mixed vit e with her crumble and forced it into her beak every few hours. We did this for a week and she got better, after 10 days I put her back with her sisters. It took another week before she walked normal and maybe a month for her to catch up with the rest. We still have her and she looks no different from the rest. Best of luck

4. roejono

roejono New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    Thanks for your quick reply !

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You can buy Vitamin E capsules in any vitamin aisle at the store. They come in a little gel cap. You can nick the end of a cap, squeeze a drop of oil out onto the chick's beak, and he should suck it right down. Remember, those pills are designed for a human adult, so dose accordingly! Nutridrench has vitamin E as well as lots of other nutrients in it.

6. TheDarkLord098

TheDarkLord098 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    In a chicken coop xD
    Your chick's dizziness probably was because it is stressed especially when it's shipped. Keep it warm and DO give vitamin e as they suggested. I'm crossing my fingers on you, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by