Chick with Dizziness (5 days old)

roejono

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
Hello BYC members

I recently picked up some 1 day old australorp chicks and discovered one of them is acting very odd.

She acts as though she is dizzy (we nick named her "Dizzy" because of this) she seams to keep her eyes closed most of the time however when given water through a syringe she drinks and eats mushed up chicken starter. when she does open her eyes her head moves from one side to the other slowly.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before ? She literally hasn't had time to get an inner ear infection surly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this !

Thanks all

I had a chick act like this a few years ago. We have a bird expert in our area and when I called him he said to give her vitamin E every 4 hours. He also said to never give a bird water by a dropper that you could get the fluid into her lungs and it would kill her. I mixed vit e with her crumble and forced it into her beak every few hours. We did this for a week and she got better, after 10 days I put her back with her sisters. It took another week before she walked normal and maybe a month for her to catch up with the rest. We still have her and she looks no different from the rest. Best of luck

You can buy Vitamin E capsules in any vitamin aisle at the store. They come in a little gel cap. You can nick the end of a cap, squeeze a drop of oil out onto the chick's beak, and he should suck it right down. Remember, those pills are designed for a human adult, so dose accordingly! Nutridrench has vitamin E as well as lots of other nutrients in it.

Back
Top Bottom