1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick with dried yolk over eye!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Owens Farm, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Owens Farm

Owens Farm New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    I have a chick that hatched last night and at 6am this morning was dry. But the little guy has dried yolk over one of his eyes and it was over part of his mouth but I was able to snip the feathers carefully so he could open his mouth all the way. Question is how do I get the dried yolk off of him? I am afraid if I move him to the brooder nursery the other chicks will peck at him but then again maybe that would help get the yolk off. I'm just afraid they will peck his eye out! Suggestions! Please

Thanks
    Owens Family Farm

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    You might try gently wiping it with a damp cloth but if it was me I'd probably just leave it unless you see the others bothering it.
    The babies sleep most of the time for the first day anyway. If you try to clean it make sure the chick doesn't get wet or chilled.

3. Owens Farm

Owens Farm New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Thanks. I tried that earlier today but dried eggs is worse than cement to try to clean. Lol. To be on the safe side for tonight I leave him in the incubator and just give him acess to his own personal food and water.

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Once the chick is more steady on his feet he will probably scratch at it himself to get it off. I had a chick last year with a gummy sealed eye. And she eventually got the eye open.

5. Owens Farm

Owens Farm New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Thanks

6. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Have you tried using a warm damp cloth as red horse said, but holding it on for a while? That might soften it enough that you can get it off.

Keep us updated!

7. Owens Farm

Owens Farm New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    I tried that and it didn't work.
    *update*
    This afternoon I put the chick in the nursery with the others. I had to go pick the kids up from school and run some errands and when we got home the dried yolk was off his eye. He still has a little on his head but it doesn't seem to bother him. I'm not sure how he got it off but he managed to do it! Yay!

8. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Yay! Good for him, and you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by