Chick With Exploded Yolk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peep-Chicken, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I hatched a chick out who had a yolk still on her. I put her in a cup for it to absorb, but she ended up puncturing it with her feet. So I replaced the paper towel and placed her in the cup. She's quite small as well. I'm giving her polyvisol, but I don't have antibiotic cream in case she gets infection.

I'll try to get pics, I hope she makes it :fl

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Wishing you the very best of luck hope she makes it too :fl

I would try to keep the area as clean as you can you have given her the best chance.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thank you both :)

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    How is she doing @Peep-Chicken?

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    She sadly passed away last night :hit She got infection and by the time I had gotten some antibiotic cream, it didn't seen to help her :(. But when she was able to walk, she knocked over another chick in a cup and that one ended up puncturing her yolk as well. That one is alive still, and is hanging out with a black chick in the bator till she's strong enough. Hope she makes it :fl

I hate all of the chicken yolk issues I seem to have. This one egg that was for sure alive yesterday, but stopped moving today, looked to be on day 18 when I cracked it today, even though it was day 22 :confused:

Why do some chicks hatch with their yolks unabsorbed but some hatch okay?

Thanks everyone.

7. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I just checked on the bator, the black chick that ate and drank by herself yesterday and was fine earlier, is dead. :hit Yet the yellow chick that is doing worse, is still okay. I though it would be the other way around.

What happened to the blank chick?

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If your chicks are hatching with unabsorbed yolk, your temperature is too high during incubation.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It sounds to me like you had 2 preemies. I use 3 thermometers when I hatch, and keep the temp as near to 100 as I can (99.5-100.5) and seem to get appropriate chicks. That's my guess, I'm sure others have a guess too. I know it's very sad when they don't make it. [​IMG]

10. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems

So sorry about your chicks :hugs the above link is a good read as to why chicks don't always absorb yolk. There are many reasons why they don't. Have you got them in the incubator or a brooder box? I'm a little comfused as you said they are in the incubator but the black one had food and water yesterday? Some chicks just don't make it I've had them doing well and then just die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by