Chick with eye blister?? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arllcountrygirl, Jan 9, 2009.

1. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

This is a barred rock chick that I hatched out. It got this nasty looking blister above its eye. Well I took a needle and drained it. No problem the clear liquid shot out and it deflated, but it slowly filled back up. Anyone know what it is and what I can do about it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    i've never seen anything like that. looks kind of painful though. i'm surprised the liquid seems clear rather than an ifected yellow color. i really have no idea. hope someone here can help you and the little one

3. arllcountrygirl

Yea, it does look painful but doesn't appear to affect the chick. I just don't want to have to constantly drain it. The one time I drained it , the needle barely got close to it and it started squirting a thin line of clear liquid out of it. [​IMG]

4. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    That's really bizarre, did the liquid have an odor? Maybe he has an infection in his mouth? I would treat it as a generic infectionand start him on a course of terramycin.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  5. arllcountrygirl

No odor - Yes it is started in Terramycin

6. arllcountrygirl

Anybody else have any ideas??

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That is really odd. It looks like it could be pox but I've never heard of a pox that is soft enough to actually pop. I can't say I've tried to pop one, though.
    Have you checked the rest of its body to see if it has any more blisters?

8. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It just looks like a little cyst to me. I had a Frizzle chick that hatched with one on its neck like that and it went away eventually.

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I'm wondering if she should pop it then put some neosporin on it, or if it's better left alone? [​IMG]

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I would just leave it alone as long as it doesn't look infected or bother the chick. You can drain it if you want, but sometimes those things heal better on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by