Chick with eye infection & swelling pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylilchick, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mylilchick

mylilchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Central Florida
    One if my chicks has an eye infection. I separated her and am using Neosporin & Vetericyn, Today is the 4th day and it is no better and really swollen. No other symptoms just the eye. Anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you are probably dealing with coryza. Does her head have a bad smell (at least before you started meds?) If you can get sulfadimethoxine (brand names Di-Methox, Albon, Sulfamed G) that would treat it. If there is no bad smell or can't get Di-Methox, start her on Tylan50 injections daily. How old, what breed, and how much does she weigh? Here is some info on resp. diseases to read: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. mylilchick

Oct 15, 2013
    Central Florida
    Slight smell. She's a dark Cornish a couple of months old I'm not sure of her weight.One of the other chickens was pecking at her eye I thought it may have been infected from the pecking. Today it's no better. Looks like it may be spreading to the other eye. I can get the Tylan 50. I don't think I can inject. I've heard it can be given orally?

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Poor little guy. I need to tell you that Tylan will not do anything for Coryza. Sulfadimethoxine powder at 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days or Sulmet (sodium sulfamethazine) at 1 tablespoon for 7-10 days is used for Coryza. If respiratory problems continue after the swelling has left, then you treat with Tylan or L-S 50 for CRD.

if Coryza becomes a problem year after year, a vaccination program is recommended.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. mylilchick

Oct 15, 2013
    Central Florida
    Thank-you Eggcessive & Michael. I will get the Di-Methox today and if the the problem continues go to Tylan. I'm new to chickens. Have White Lace Red Cornish Bantams & Dark Cornish. I really like this little girl. Today she is making noises like she's trying to breath through her mouth or wheezing. :- ( Hopefully she'll be ok. Thanks again!

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Welcome. I don't know if you can get the eye open at all, but here is a link with directions that may help open the sinuses:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/NasalFlush/NasalFlush.html

It is important to keep the bird's beak pointed down to the floor when flushing so there is no aspiration. Gently wrapping a towel around the bird will keep it from struggling and flapping her wings.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by