chick with eye issue.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rocks3flowers, Oct 30, 2015.

1. rocks3flowers

rocks3flowers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Dartmouth Massachusetts
    One of my fully feathered chicks barred rock about 6 weeks old has just developed a red inflamed eye and besides this has no other symptoms she's eating and drinking running around not coughing or sneezing and there's no drainage for the past few days iv bin looking at form after form and can't find what's wrong if I could get any help I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks [​IMG]this is the chickens good eye......[​IMG]this is the chickens bad eye as you can see its red and inflamed around the eye.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't see any evidence of a peck wound or injury around the eye, which can cause swelling. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD) can cause swelling and conjunctivitis from sinus infection. It may or may not be that, but I would watch for any bubbles or foam inside the eye, sneezing, or nasal drainage, and consider antibiotics such as Tylan or oxytetracycline. But for now, I would use some Vetericyn eye wash, Vetericyn eye gel, or get some Terramycin ointment from the feed store to treat her eye twice daily for a week or 10 days. Here is a link to read about respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  3. rocks3flowers

rocks3flowers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Dartmouth Massachusetts
    Thank you going to read up on it all now. And I'll get to the feed store first thing in the morning. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by