Chick with eye poked out- What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phantomml, Jul 27, 2011.

1. phantomml

phantomml Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    I have a 3 month old barred rock hen, and the other chickens must have poked her eye out (the poor girl) [​IMG] cuz I separated her a few weeks ago with her eye swelled shut. two days ago she opened it and there it no eye. Today it was swelled shut again and I squeezed out a big gob of puss [​IMG] the whole thing is just red- but not bleading, but its already shut and swelling back up with puss- can I put saline solution that you use for contacts in her eye? Will that stop it from getting infected until it heals? What other suggestions can I do- other than cull her, its not affectin anything else like her appetite, or scratching up things, but I don't want to just kill her [​IMG][​IMG]

2. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I would flush it out with the contact solution the you can pull the eyelid open and put in an Opthalmic Terramycin ointment, it is specifically for the eye, it can be found at Orscheln or Tractor Supply,

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes she can have a full life with one eye.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You can put some of that no pick tar on the comb. You can also feed the hens more protein so they attack less. Most important, you are going to have to keep an eye on things because they can easily finish the job on her.

5. phantomml

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    I will do that thanks!! And Beleive me she has her own little palace and until she is much bigger isn't going around anyone else. I think the infection stunted her a little, she is about 1/2-1 lb less then everyone else her age now, and she was getting plenty to eat (all she wanted all day everyday) and vitamin electolites in her water I changed 4 times a day! Thank you for your help!!

6. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG] Hoping she makes a full recovery. Had a hen that was blind in one. She had a very fullfilled life. She just made adjustments to it. Though she is gone now, she had a very long and great life. She passed a few weeks ago. She was my Speckled Sussex and about 7 years old. She has the most gentle chicken.

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Does your chicken smell bad? I am just wondering if she has coryza. You need to be careful not to pass it to your other chickens , if it is.

8. phantomml

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    Quote:What do you mean by smell bad? She smells like a chicken, which depending on who you are- may or may not be pleasant, no "fowl" odor [​IMG] But seriously, what smell should I look for?

9. phantomml

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    Quote:Sorry to hear she passed, 7 sounds very old for a chicken!! I bet she was a fav of yours, I know General Tso (the buff orpington pictured) is a spring 2010 rooster and he is definately my fav [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by