1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick with face problem???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by love2grinchicke, Nov 5, 2013.

1. love2grinchicke

love2grinchicke Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    Virginia
    I posted earlier about this chick being lethargic. It is all better from that, but the sugar water made some chips stick to it's face. I was able to remove them pretty easily, but just now I noticed that the side of it's face is looking bad. It could be from sugar water stuck on, but I'm a little worried. The little guy is about 27 hours old, and it was a rough day today, trying to keep it alive. picture of it is below. The eyes are also not as open and bright as my other Amerucana's was. HELP!!!!! What should I do? This is my first hatch. Four chicks have hatched, three have made it past the one day mark, and two are healthy looking and acting. Maybe I'm just a bit of a worrier, but this does not look okay. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would probably try flushing with saline then applying ophthalmic antibiotic ointment or plain Neosporin brand ointment once or twice a day.

3. love2grinchicke

Oct 5, 2013
    Virginia
    okay, thank you. I'm going to try wiping it with a warm, wet q-tip, because I think it's mostly crusty sugar water.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. love2grinchicke

Oct 5, 2013
    Virginia
    I have now wiped it off with q-tips and paper towel. The little guy is doing great, and both of his eyes are open. Around one of them was this crust, but once I had dampened and rubbed it, it was gone. He is still a little crusty from the sugar, because he kept running through it.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Glad to hear it!

I'd keep an eye on it for infection from the irritation of the cleansing, though.

6. love2grinchicke

Oct 5, 2013
    Virginia
    okay.

7. love2grinchicke

Oct 5, 2013
    Virginia
    The little chick is better now. We're pretty sure he is a rooster, and we named him Diddly Squawk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by