Chick with Floppy Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjhubbs, Mar 10, 2013.

1. cjhubbs

cjhubbs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    Hello Everyone,
    The past few days have been exciting around her because we have had new chickens hatching [​IMG]. However today I helped to chicks get out of their eggs after having pipped over 30 hours before. I had assumed the chicks hadn't hatched because A) the humidity had been low and may have been stuck and B) the other hatched chicks were causing chaos by standing on and turning the other eggs. Well one of the chicks that I "rescued" seems to be doing fine but the other doesn't. Its legs don't seem to be right and are floppy and they appear to be very soft. This chick has started to attempt to walk but it walks on its entire leg from the joint down. I will try to get up some pictures tomorrow, if it survives that is[​IMG]. I was wondering what you think may be wrong with the chick and if there is anything reasonable, that I could do to help it? Thanks for the help!

2. cjhubbs

cjhubbs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    From what I have read it seems like the chick may have broken its leg. Do you think that could be what is going on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by