Chick with funny neck :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Outbackchick, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Outbackchick

Outbackchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    Hi Iv had 5 of my chicks hatch and all big beautiful and healthy except one has a funny neck.. Iv left him under the light but not sure if weak from being bent up in egg or injured in the incubator.. It sorta looks up in the air at you and sometimes falls backwards on his back.. Does anyone know what this is and will it get better with some time? Is it anything I did wrong?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Vitamin water or "chick saver" from tractor supply. If you don't have that, use poly-vi-sol liquid vitamins from the pharmacy. You'll need to dilute it and it's okay for all chicks to drink it.

3. Outbackchick

Nov 20, 2011
    We don't have a tractor supply in Australia I don't think but I'll ring a few pet shops or livestock feed places to ask if they supply that.. So is it like a deficiency in something?

4. SilkiesBySloan

SilkiesBySloan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011
    Quote:That's exactly what I was going to say. Great advice! Give it a day or two on any of the suggested remedies, they work but not within hours. You should see a gradual improvement.

5. Outbackchick

Nov 20, 2011
    Thankyou I'll try get my hands on some and hopefully it will be ok [​IMG][​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:It can be a vitamin E deficiency. Do a search and you should come up with several threads on it. Chick Saver is vitamins with electrolytes.
    If you use the Poly-Vi-Sol, it is infant vitamins. They have it with or without Iron. Get the Poly-Vi-Sol without Iron for use with chicks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by