Chick With Gray Eyeball, Lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lilorp14, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Lilorp14

Lilorp14 Songster

Sep 26, 2014
    VA
    So I have a chick that's about 3-4 weeks old. I got her from the feed store because I saw her eye and felt bad for her (they probably would have culled her). She was chipper and eating and drinking well when I brought her home, but she would itch her eye and squeal in pain as she reopened the wound. I took this as a good sign because if she was trying to itch it, then it was probably itchy, therefore its healing. I didn't interfere for probably the first week, and by that time it looked like it had drained the eye and it was healing well. It re-filled and it looked like a gray ball with a white pupil instead of an eyeball. It was slowly expanding out of her eye so I thought it might fall out or something. Well, it hasn't, and I've been applying terramyacin (probably spelled that wrong) once or twice a week. She seemed to be fine even though the eye wasn't healing, but in the last few days she has been rather lethargic. She also smaller then the others even though she eats about the same. She basically walks to the food and water, eats, drinks, then goes back under the lamp and sleeps. She shakes her head too. The other chicks are playing and searching for food in the chips and stuff. Anyone have any advice or is this just a 'time will tell' thing? I will try to include pictures of her eye later when I get home.

Thanks!

P.S The other chicks don't peck at her eye at all.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

If it is filled with hardened puss... that stuff needs to come out for healing to take place.

Will look for the pic later. :fl

Lilorp14 likes this.
  3. Lilorp14

Lilorp14 Songster

Sep 26, 2014
    VA
    How would I get it out?

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Sometimes it has to be lanced (cut) and squeezed or flushed out. :sick

But after you post some pics, we may have a more clear idea of needed course of action. Is vet care an option for you?

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony any of ya'll got experience in this? TIA

:fl

Lilorp14 likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures are necessary. It is important to know whether there are secretions, to get the eye opened, clean it with some saline and QTips or tissue. The antibiotic ointment has to be applied twice a day after cleaning the eye. How old was she when you brought her home. She may be blind if the injury or infection has been going on for long.

EggSighted4Life and Lilorp14 like this.
  6. Lilorp14

Lilorp14 Songster

Sep 26, 2014
    VA
    She was only a few days old. Her eye is open and she doesn't/hasn't ever blinked it while I was holding her or looking at her. It seems too big to blink around. I don't think she can see shapes or color out of it, just light/dark. She tilts her head and looks at the heat lamp and things like that quite often. She never could see out of it as far as I know. I think she was born with it honestly, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I don't know how I would be able to squeez her eyeball without injuring her further, its just a bad angle. I will get pics after work.

7. Lilorp14

Lilorp14 Songster

Sep 26, 2014
    VA
    I don't think I would take a chick to a vet...Around here vets are for dogs and cats, and if i brought in a chick they'd run up a bill, probably give me an antibiotic ointment that I already have, and possibly even make fun of me. The vets in my area are very snooty :hmm

8. Lilorp14

Lilorp14 Songster

Sep 26, 2014
    VA
    @Eggcessive @EggSighted4Life
    Here are the pictures. It has gotten really red around the edges since this morning. I hope she can make it back from this. . 20190424_204911.jpg 20190424_204913.jpg

If you need better pictures let me know.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would see a vet. I am not sure that anything can be done for the eye at this point, since this has been going on for so long. I am really sorry, but if she cannot blink, then the eye may need to be removed to prevent pain.

Lilorp14 likes this.
  10. Lilorp14

Lilorp14 Songster

Sep 26, 2014
    VA
    Ok, I'll see what I can do. I hope I find some sort of solution. Any recoomendations for keeping her strong while I look? Some sort of immune-system booster maybe....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: